Known as the “Friendly Village,” the village of Mineola is located in Nassau County on Long Island. Most of the village is located within the Town of North Hempstead, with a small part located within the Town of Hempstead. The 2010 Census reported a population of 18,799. Schools located within the village include three elementary schools (Hampton Street School, Jackson Avenue School, and Meadow Drive School), and one middle school (Mineola Middle School). A well-known private Catholic school for boys, Chaminade High School, is also located in Mineola. Mineola High School, located in the neighboring hamlet of Garden City Park, serves Mineola high-school students. Students from the surrounding villages also attend the school.
The median household income of Mineola is $89,706, and the economy revolves around many major industries, including information technology, healthcare, social assistance, education, and retail. NYU Winthrop Hospital (formerly Winthrop-University Hospital) is a major employer.
Although Mineola could be considered an economic hub in its own right, as it is the county seat of Nassau County and home to the county courthouse and a major hospital, Mineola is also in close proximity to one of the greatest economic hubs in the world: New York, New York. Given that it is located just 17 miles to Manhattan and is home to one of the busiest Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) stations, Mineola is a popular residence for commuters who work in New York City. It typically takes 38 minutes to travel from the Mineola LIRR station to Manhattan’s Pennsylvania Station on the Huntington or Ronkonkoma lines.
After a long day at work, whether you’re looking for a place to do recreational activities or just take in the beautiful views of this tree-lined village, Mineola has options to fit every need. Situated next to the well-equipped Mineola Memorial Library, Memorial Park is the perfect place to take a stroll. It features benches and includes one of Long Island’s most beautiful September 11th memorials. The park also honors residents who sacrificed their lives for their country, as well as well as those who perished when a gunman opened fire at the Merillon Avenue LIRR station on December 7, 1993. Other parks include Emory Road Park and 8th Avenue Park. The John S. DaVanzo Community Pool is an essential summertime destination, featuring a large pool for adults and children, a kiddie pool for the little ones, and a large water slide sure to delight the whole family. While use of the pool is reserved for Mineola residents only, non-residents can access the pool if they are accompanied by a resident and purchase a guest pass. Located next to the pool, Wilson Park includes a playground, baseball field, soccer field and street hockey rink, providing fun for all ages. Of course, there is no need to limit oneself to the borders of Mineola. Residents can easily access world-class beaches, like Jones Beach in Wantagh.
Mineola is a lively destination for weddings and social events.
- Jericho Terrace: Perhaps the best-known wedding venue in Mineola, Jericho Terrace has it all: two sleek cocktail rooms, four stately ballrooms, and menu options featuring fine foods to delight every guest.
- Knights of Columbus Hall: A welcoming venue for your next casual get-together, such as an informal class reunion
- Mineola Portuguese Center: A venue serving the needs of the Portuguese-American population of Mineola, as the village is known for its Portuguese population, and is home to the Portuguese Heritage Society and the Mineola Portuguese Society, as well as delicious Portuguese restaurants
In addition to its many amenities and strong community, Mineola is also home to unique restaurants to suit every taste. The most popular restaurants are those specializing in Italian and Portuguese cuisine. Here are some wonderful restaurants and cafes to check out:
- Cuigini’s: Italian favorites to dine in or take out
- Luigi’s: Pizza and pasta to dine in or take out
- Churrasqueira Bairrada: Portuguese fare and grilled meat skewers
- Heart of Portugal: Traditional Portuguese dishes and wine
- Brasa Rodizio: All-you-can eat Portuguese barbeque
- Las Vinas: Peruvian specialties
- Costa Nova Waffle: The only place outside of the beachside community of Costa Nova, Aveiro, Portugal to find a specialty Portuguese waffle
- Mineola Diner: Classic diner
- The Rex Burger & Lobster: Casual spot for burgers, shakes, and lobster rolls
Mineola is home to many exciting community events, from street fairs to workshops at the library and parties at various community centers. Residents also often avail themselves of the cultural events at nearby universities, such as Adelphi University in Garden City and Hofstra University in Hempstead. Of course, with Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn just a train ride or two away, the possibilities are endless!