Long Island News Post Published on May, 18th 2020, Written by Nick P.
On Friday Governor Cuomo announced that select areas of New York may begin phase 1, of the reopening process while others still have some time until they are ready to go. The four regions that are qualified to open, which meet the seven criteria put in place by the state are the North Country, the Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley, and the Finger Lakes.
Although both the New York City and Long Island areas still have some time before they can reopen, other parts of the state opening are an encouraging sign.
New York Opening Underway; Stay At Home Order Extended
NY Governor Cuomo also signed an executive order that will continue New York State stay at home order until May 28. As disappointing as that is, it is not surprising due to the state's previous handling of the situation and the density of the New York City and Long Island area population.
“Both travel-related cases and community contact transmission of COVID-19 have been documented in New York State and are expected to continue,” the executive order says.
The executive order also adds “All enforcement mechanisms by state or local governments shall continue to be in full force and effect until May 28th 2020, unless later extended or amended by a future Executive Order.” However, the phases of businesses can be progressed as each benchmark is met. The general reaction to the announcement seems as if small business owners are Long Island Towns are growing tired of not being able to work.
What Are The Criteria Needed To Reopen?
The state has laid out seven benchmarks regions must meet to enter the first phase of the reopening period. Although several other areas of New York have already met the criteria, New York City and Long Island still have not met all seven.
New York City has yet to meet the requirements for New Hospitalizations,Hospital Beds, and ICU beds.
Long Island is slightly closer, as it has met the criteria for ICU Beds, but not New Hospitalizations or Hospital beds.
As numbers of new cases continue to decrease, hopefully the rest of New York can open up sooner rather than later.
- Decline in New Hospitalizations: According to CDC guidelines, a region has to have at least 14 days of decline in total hospitalizations and deaths on a three day rolling average.
- Decline in Hospital Fatalities: Regions with few COVID-19 cases can not have 15 new cases or five deaths on a three day rolling average.
- Decline in New Hospitalizations: A region must have fewer than two new COVID-19 patients per 100,000 residents per day.
- Hospital Bed Availability: Hospitals can’t be filled to more than 70% capacity – including ICU beds – leaving 30% available in the event of a surge.
- Sufficient Staff Protection: All hospitals must have a 90 day stockpile of Personal Protection Equipment.
- Sufficient Testing: There must be 30 tests per 1,000 residents ready to go.
- Sufficient Contact Tracing Data: Regions must have 30 contact tracers for every 100,000 residents.
What Businesses Can Open In NY For Phase 1?
The first phase of the New York reopening process will include delivery and curbside pick up for retail stores, manufacturing, and wholesome trade. Examples of some of these businesses that will be eligible to reopen for Phase 1 are listed below:
NY Phase 1 Retail Trade Examples:
- Clothing Stores
- Direct Selling Establishments
- Electronics and Appliance Stores
- Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
- Furniture and Home Furnishing Stores
- General Merchandise Stores
- Health and Personal Care Stores
- Jewelry, Luggage, and Leather Goods Stores
- Lawn and Garden Equipment and Supplies Stores
NY Phase 1 Manufacturing Examples:
- Apparel Manufacturing
- Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Electric Lighting Equipment Manufacturing
- Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
- Furniture and Related Product Manufacturing
- Leather and Allied Product Manufacturing
- Machinery Manufacturing
- Nonmetallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
- Paper Manufacturing
NY Phase 1 Wholesale Trade Examples:
- Apparel, Piece Goods, and Notions Merchant Wholesalers
- Chemical and Allied Products Merchant Wholesalers
- Furniture and Home Furnishing Merchant Wholesalers
- Household Appliances and Electrical and Electronic Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- Machinery, Equipment, and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- Metal and Mineral (except Petroleum) Merchant Wholesalers
- Paper and Paper Product Merchant Wholesalers
- Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- Wholesale Electronic Markets and Agents and Brokers
- Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- Miscellaneous Nondurable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
FOLLOW: Long Island Hub's Instagram!
Long Island News Post Published May 18th, 2020
Long Island Hub Members Also Viewed These:
- Long Island News
- Commack Protest
- Long Island Coronavirus Cases By Town
Scroll Back Up