Hicksville, New York
The LIRR Huntington Line provides easy access to Manhattan in about 47 minutes. While many residents work in New York City, Hicksville itself offers many economic opportunities, as 22,860 people work in Hicksville in such industries as healthcare, education, and retail.
Indeed, retail is big business in Hicksville. Broadway Commons is home to a Target, Macy’s, Forever 21, and a 12-screen movie theater, along with many other favorite stores. It is also home to the only IKEA on Long Island, so this draws shoppers from all around Long Island.
Shopping isn’t the only activity to be enjoyed in Hicksville, however. Many recreation opportunities abound. The best place to enjoy the outdoors is Cantiague Park. Boasting 116 acres, the park includes a nine-hole golf course, an outdoor pool, a playground, an indoor ice rink, tennis courts, and ball fields. Park admittance requires a county leisure pass available to Nassau County residents only.
Any budding scientists in the family will love the Hicksville Gregory Museum. Housed in a former courthouse dating to 1895, this family-friendly museum specializes in earth science and natural history. The extensive collection of former teacher Gardiner Gregory features a pair of dinosaur eggs, among other educational delights.
After a long day of fun, Hicksville offers lovely cuisine. Hicksville is particularly well-known for its plethora of Indian dining options (at least 26!), but locals and visitors alike will find cuisines to fit all tastes. Some local eateries include:
- New Chili and Curry: specialties from Northern India
- Diwan Indian Restaurant and Bar: the spacious restaurant is known for its buffet
- House of Dosas: vegetarian eatery known for dosas and other snacks
- Trullo d’Oro: Italian specialties
- Cheers Grill and Bar: Tex-Mex options
- Margarita’s Cafe: Mexican restaurant, plus happy hour and late night options
- Kebab House: Afghani cuisine
- Jani: Chinese and Japanese staples, plus dim sum and sushi
- Smashburger: burgers and shakes in a family-friendly atmosphere
Looking for a place to host your next special event? Antun’s by Minar is a large wedding venue able to accommodate many different events. The Ballroom can hold up to 175 people; The Lux Room can host 200 people, while the Hamilton can host 375 guests. Families of Indian descent will especially appreciate that Antun’s is well-versed in hosting Mehendi ceremonies.
Hicksville has been the birthplace or residence of many notable individuals, such as Billy Joel and Theresa Caputo.